The IEEE IAS Petroleum and Chemical Industry Committee (PCIC) provides an international forum for the exchange of electrical applications technology related to the petroleum and chemical industry. The PCIC annual conference is rotated across North American locations of industry strength to attract national and international participation. User, manufacturer, consultant, and contractor participation is encouraged to strengthen the conference technical base.
Success of the PCIC is built upon high quality papers, individual recognition, valued standards activities, mentoring, tutorials, networking, and conference sites that appeal to all.
Chair: Kevin Peterson (email@example.com)
Vice Chair: Paul Sullivan (Paul.B.Sullivan@ieee.org)
Secretary: Robert Durham (firstname.lastname@example.org)
PCIC has a long and storied history in the U.S., and the PCIC brand has been used to host a number of international conferences. The success of the PCIC brand is built upon high quality papers, personal recognition and reward, valued standards activities, mentoring, tutorials and networking.
The annual IEEE-PCIC conference is an exchange of technical ideas – not a trade show – that brings together professionals with a common focus on electrical installations and safety. The PCIC Executive and Local Committees take great pride in providing a high quality conference while keeping registration and participation costs reasonable.
PCIC is the best educational value for anyone working in the petrochemical electrical field. Here’s why:
- Conference papers and tutorials are authored by many of the most respected minds in the industry. Great care is taken to ensure that presentations are free of commercial content.
- Many PCIC members participate in writing industry standards. Working groups meet prior to the start of the conference to work on standards for the IEEE, API and other organizations. These meetings are open to all conference registrants.
- Vendors are an integral part of PCIC. They support the technical and professional goals of the Conference, author papers, sponsor Conference functions and host evening hospitality events.
As the petroleum and chemical industry transitions into new areas such as the reduction of Green House Gas (GHG) emissions and the growth of renewable energy sources, the PCIC is up to the challenge of growing in these different areas while not forgetting the strong foundation of technical contributions of the past. The PCIC is expanding technical papers to include topics such as:
- Electrification of traditionally fossil-fueled processes
- Sustainable and bio-based fuels
- Carbon capture, utilization, and storage
- Hydrogen and ammonia production and use
- Renewable generation such as onshore wind, offshore wind, solar photovoltaic, hydro-electric
- Large scale energy storage systems
To provide an international forum for the exchange of electrical applications technology relating to the petroleum and chemical industry, to sponsor appropriate IEEE Standards activity for that industry, and to provide opportunity for professional development.
- The PCIC Annual Technical Conference will be held in North American locations of petrochemical industry strength, and its location will be rotated annually in an effort to attract national and international participation. The PCIC Annual Technical Conference shall officially run for four days.
- The PCIC will proactively promote participation by a broad base of industry representatives, with emphasis on participation by both early-career and retired engineers.
- PCIC Conference attendees will be encouraged to participate in technical activities including authorship of papers and tutorials and participation in standards development.
- The PCIC develops technical standards relevant to the petroleum and chemical industry that drive technology development and standardization, and coordinates these activities with the IEEE Standards Association and other standards making bodies.
- The PCIC will offer tutorials directed toward enhancing the technical, communication, and interpersonal skills of petroleum and chemical industry engineers.
- The quality of the PCIC paper offerings is essential for the PCIC mission to succeed and will be given highest priority. Preference in paper selection will be given to practical, application-oriented papers.
- The PCIC will actively seek opportunities to reward participants for contributions to the PCIC and the profession.
- Technical Subcommittee areas of specialty will be continuously evaluated and updated to reflect the evolving needs of the industry.
- User, manufacturer, consultant, and contractor participation will be encouraged in the activities of the PCIC to strengthen the conference technical base.
- The PCIC will develop international collaborative partnerships as deemed appropriate to further promote the PCIC Mission.